Much of Shanghai’s Jewish Quarter has disappeared, but visitors still can see some of the buildings, like this one, where thousands of refugees lived alongside the city’s residents.
Jewish Life in Shanghai’s Ghetto (The New York Times)
By CASEY HALL
Published: June 19, 2012
SHANGHAI - While much of the city’s Jewish Quarter has disappeared in the years since the end of World War II, the Ohel Moshe Synagogue is a constant reminder of how this Chinese city saved tens of thousands of Jews fleeing the Holocaust.
Built by Russian Jews in 1927 in the Hongkou district in northern Shanghai, the synagogue was the primary religious destination for the Jewish refugees who flooded into the city.
And while its facade has not changed, the building now is the Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum. It is the first stop for many visitors seeking information about what the Holocaust scholar David Kranzler called the “Miracle of Shanghai.”
About 20,000 refugees settled around the synagogue, in an area called the Restricted Sector for Stateless Refugees but more commonly known as the Jewish Ghetto. The 2.68 square kilometers, or about a square mile, which was cordoned off by the Japanese who controlled the city, also was home to 100,000 Shanghaiese, who were welcoming to their new neighbors, according to Jian Chen, the museum’s director.
“After the end of the Pacific War in 1945, the European Jewish refugees slowly left Shanghai,” Mr. Chen said. “However, they always looked upon Shanghai as their second home, calling the city their ‘Noah’s Ark’.”
(via Soviet Samovar)
- praggnificent reblogged this from plavapticica
- caststone likes this
- dalirumm reblogged this from sovietjewry
- allthings717 likes this
- crackinthecloud reblogged this from demarches
- singcleanthes reblogged this from demarches
- luluthezulu likes this
- velveteenrabbit reblogged this from sovietjewry
- nimbostratus reblogged this from demarches
- yamelcakes likes this
- borderlinebatshit reblogged this from rivernursed
- spring2000 likes this
- mylittletown2100 reblogged this from sovietjewry
- plutovka reblogged this from demarches
- plutovka likes this
- demarches reblogged this from sovietjewry
- perseidbadger likes this
- alierakieron likes this
- lolawasthecat likes this
- plavapticica reblogged this from sovietjewry
- saisonciel likes this
- sovietjewry posted this